The MAP techniques can increase the activity of multiple sclerosis in women

Publié le : 26 October 2012

According to a study to appear in Annals of Neurology and carried out by the team of Dr Jorge Correale of the Raul Carrea Institute for Biological Neurological Research in Buenos Aires, "women suffering from multiple sclerosis (MS) who follow an infertility treatment using a technique of medically assisted procreation (MAP) risk having it increase the activity of the disease."
In order to ascertain the exact effects of the MAP techniques among women suffering from multiple sclerosis, the team of Dr Jorge Correale "carried out a prospective study of 16 patients receiving 26 cycles of treatment, with agonists of the GnRH and recombinant FSH" and "the patients were monitored for a year before the first cycle and for nine months after the last." The results showed that "three quarters of them experienced outbreaks of symptoms, corresponding to 58% of the cycles in the three months following the treatment. In 27% of cases, this was an aggravation of the pre-existing symptoms and in the remaining 73% they were new outbreaks." Lastly, "overall, the activity of SM shown by scans was multiplied by nine with the MAP treatments" and the researchers add that "the biological analyses carried out suggest that the sex hormones play an important role in the regulation of the immunity response."

Share this article

BIOETHICS PRESS SYNTHESIS