Euthanasia soaring in Belgium

Publié le 1 Aug, 2018

In Belgium, the latest report by the Federal Euthanasia Control Commission (CFCEE) was presented to the Chamber on Tuesday. The Commission produces this report for legislators every two years. This particular report lists all cases of euthanasia recorded between 1 January 2016 and 31 December 2017 in order to verify compliance with legal requirements. It highlights:

  • 4,337 recorded cases of euthanasia presented to the Commission.
  • The number of cases increased by 13% between 2016 (2,028) and 2017 (2,309).
  • An increase in euthanasia at home: 908 in 2016 (44.8%) and 1,046 in 2017 (45.3%). According to the report, this reflects “patients’ wishes to end their lives in their own homes”.
  • The number of cases performed in residential and care homes has also increased three-fold compared to 2002-2003.
  • In 2017, there were 40 cases of euthanasia associated with “mental and behavioural disorders”.
  • Three minors aged 9, 11 and 17 years of age underwent euthanasia. They presented with Duchenne muscular dystrophy, a malignant eye tumour and cystic fibrosis. In 2014, euthanasia was extended to minors “capable of making an informed choice”.
  • 76.3% of declarations “were completed correctly from a legal perspective and were accepted from the outset”. As for the remaining 23.7%, “further information was requested”.


The Commission recommends “a bigger budget to cope with the increasing number of requests”. (17/07/2018) – Le Vif (17/07/2018

Share this post

For further