In Chile, the draft bill to decriminalise abortion in three instances, namely rape, foetal malformation and risk to the mother’s health, was validated by the Senate in a second vote on 19 July 2017. The bill has yet to be approved by the Chamber of Deputies before being finally adopted.
However, the process has been delayed. The draft bill “will have to pass before a joint committee responsible for finding a version common to both chambers”. This step could take several weeks.
- Chile: the Senate approves the legalisation of abortion in three specific instances
- Chile: the senators approve a draft bill to decriminalise abortion
- Initial approval of draft bill legalising abortion in Chile
- Chile authorises abortion on three grounds: risk to the mother, rape and foetal malformation
- Chile: Michelle Bachelet calls for a return to the abortion bill